Thursday, June 19, 2008

Metro 5 Award show 2008

I mentioned the Metro 5 Award show recently when I interviewed Melbourne curator and art consultant Sophie McNeur. Sophie recommended the Metro 5 Award show as an excellent event to view and purchase affordable pieces of artwork by some of Australia's most promising emerging artists. The show brings together 25 finalists in Australia’s richest national art prize for young painters - on June 24th one of these talented young artists will be named winner of the $50,000 Metro 5 Award prize.

The award exhibition is now in full swing, and runs until July 6th.... Be sure to drop in before it ends! Here are just a few of my favourite images from the show (more on the Metro 5 website).

Vincent Fantauzzo - Room 2304, 2008
Oil on canvas
121cm x 76cm

Vincent Fantauzzo's portrait of Heath Ledger won the people's choice awards at the Archibald Prize this year.

David Capra - Self Portrait, 2008
enamel and glitter on board with fimo frame
27cm diameter

David Eastwood - Gold Room, 2008
acrylic on Linen
152cm x 183cm

(I've know, I've already shown this example of David Eastwood's work in my interview with Sophie, but I love the piece so much I couldn't leave it out!)

Jacqueline Liza George - Bubbleboy, Still Life, 2008
oil on canvas
101.5cm x 91.5cm


Metro 5 gallery
1214 High st
Armadale

Open Tues-Fri, 10am - 5.30pm, Sat-Sun 11am-5pm

0 comments:

Post a Comment